Zeropollution is a multi-component active ingredient based on 4 herbal extracts (lippia citriodora, olive, rosemary and sophora japonica) that act synergistically and complementarily to protect and repair the visible skin damage caused by pollution and amplified by exposure to UV.
Zeropollution provides a new approach to pollution’s effects on the skin: because it can be used both orally and topically.
WHAT DOES ZEROPOLLUTION DO?
The various studies performed have shown that Zeropollution presents the following important properties to fight against air pollution-based skin damage:
· ENHANCES RESISTANCE TO OXIDATIVE STRESS CAUSED BY POLLUTION (antioxidant and radical scavenging activity).
· REDUCES THE SKIN INFLAMMATION response induced by pollutants.
· INHIBITS THE OVERACTIVATION OF THE HYDROCARBON ARYL RECEPTOR (AhR) caused by pollutants which is involved in the melanogenesis regulation as well as in the development of inflammatory skin lesions.
· INHIBITS THE OVEREXPRESSION OF METALLOTHIONINE MT-1H induced by pollution (antioxidant and chelation properties).
· PROTECTS SKIN CELLS FROM HARMFUL UV RAYS which exacerbate effect of the other environmental pollutants. Inhibits the oxidation and inflammation response induced by UV radiation as well as its combination.
· CONTROLS MELANOGENESIS
POLLUTION IS A GLOBAL PROBLEM
Air pollution is a major problem in recent decades, which has a serious toxicological impact on human health, hence air pollution is linked with millions of deaths globally each year. A new WHO air quality model confirms that 92% of the world's population lives in cities where air quality levels exceed WHO limits.
The sources of pollution vary from cigarettes and natural sources such as volcanic activities to emissions from automobiles and factories. The pollutants of major concern regarding public health are mainly particulate matter, carbon monoxide, ozone, nitrogen dioxide and sulphur dioxide.
POLLUTION AND UV RADIATION THE WORST COMBINATION FOR THE SKIN
Pollution-based damage are enhanced in the presence of UV radiation, contributing to the skin’s “Photo-Pollution” stress. UV radiation in combination with common environmental pollutants, such as PAHs, ozone or cigarette smoke, significantly increases visible skin photodamage, worsens skin sensitivity and even increases the risk for skin cancer.
Pollutants affect the skin on several levels:
- Skin barrier and skin microflora are altered
- Increase oxidative stress (higher ROS production, peroxidation, skin antioxidants depletion, etc.)
- Activate Aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR) which takes part in mediating toxic effects of pollutants.
- Increase the Inflammatory response.
- Increase Metalloproteinases (MMPs) activation with collagen degradation.
POLLUTION AND THE SKIN
The human skin acts as the role of a barrier but is also one of the first and major targets of air pollutants. In fact absorption of environmental pollutants from the skin is equivalent to the respiratory uptake.
Repeated pollution exposure is one of the major threats for skin health. Pollution contributes to extrinsic skin aging (pigment spots on the face, nasolabial folds, and wrinkles) and is an aggravating factor in several inflammatory or allergic skin conditions, such as atopic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis or acne.
ZEROPOLLUTION REDUCES THE INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE TO UV-B RADIATION
Both IL 1 alpha and IL8 production is reduced in human keratinocytes treated during 24 h. with Zeropollution compared to untreated cells
Treatment with Zeropollution, only during the UVB radiation, reduces the cytokine IL-6 production.
ZEROPOLLUTION COMPLETELY INHIBITS OXIDATIVE STRESS INDUCED BY UV-B RADIATION
Zeropollution significantly reduced the intracellular ROS production in human keratinocytes both in basal conditions and when exposed to UVB.
ZEROPOLLUTION INHIBITIS PHOTOPOLLUTION- INDUCED ROS FORMATION
Zeropollution presented significant antioxidant and anti-pollution properties when exposed to Urban Dust (UD) and UVA-induced oxidative stress.
ZEROPOLLUTION INHIBITS THE POLLULANT-INDUCED INFLAMMATORY RESPONSE
ZEROPOLLUTION COMPLETELY INHIBITS LIPID PEROXIDATION (MDA) INDUCED BY POLLULANT
ZEROPOLLUTION INHIBITS AhR OVEREXPRESSION INDUCED BY POLLUTANTS
Zeropollution inhibits one of the major biological pathways of pollutant stress response. The pollutant- induced Aryl hydrocarbon receptor (AhR) activation increases the expression of genes responsible for changes in barrier function, melanogenesis, inflammation, in addition to inducing oxidative stress.
ZEROPOLLUTION INHIBITS MT-1H OVEREXPRESSION INDUCED BY POLLUTANTS
Protein metallothionein (MT-1H) is used as a marker of exposure to heavy metals and oxidative stress. Due to the antioxidant and chelator properties Zeropollution significantly decreases MT-1H expression.
The Zeropollution App informs about real- time Air Quality Index (AQI) and real-time Dominant Pollutant at your localization and with a 1-day forecast, allowing consumers plant their activities.
Among other features, the App also helps consumers understand the risks of pollution and the effects on their general health and skin giving also recommendations to protection.